Patients & Visitors
Nantucket Cottage Hospital recognizes that visits from family and friends are important to the healing process. We strive to create a welcoming, supportive and safe environment for our patients, families, visitors and staff while respecting the health care needs and confidentiality of our patients.
Any person identified by the patient to support them during their hospital stay, including but not limited to a spouse, adult child, parent, close relative, friend, domestic partner, and both different sex and same sex significant others, is welcome. The hospital does not require the suppportive person be legally related to the patient and the hospital does not deny visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. The hospital will ensure that all visitors enjoy full and equal visitation privileges consistent with patient preferences.
To facilitate appropriate visitation and to assure the safety of our patients and staff, as well as to provide a quiet, restful, healing environment for our patients, we ask that all visitors follow these recommendations:
- Visitors who are experiencing or have experienced in the last 48 hours, any of the following symptoms are discouraged from visiting patients until they are certain that they will not expose the patient to more disease: fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, skin rash, vomiting or diarrhea.
- Visitors who are disruptive or disturb patients, staff or other visitors will be asked to stop the disruptive behavior or to leave the premises.
- The hospital has a no smoking policy and visitors may only smoke in their vehicles or off property.
- Children are welcome provided it is beneficial to the patient and/or children. Children under the age of 12 visiting the hospital are to be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult at all times.
Visiting After Hours:
Visitors entering the hospital after 9:00 p.m. must enter through the Emergency Department entrance.
- Maternity: Immediate family may visit at any time per mother’s request.
- Emergency Department: Visitors are limited to one at a time and will only be allowed at the discretion of the ED staff.
Public Rest Rooms
Rest rooms are located on the first floor in the main corridor. A handicapped accessible restroom is
available on the first floor, across from the main elevator,
and also in the emergency department.
The cafeteria is open from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. Visitors may take meals in the cafeteria or in local restaurants. Vending machines are available from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the hospital cafeteria.
TTY/TTD for the Hearing and Speech Impaired
If you have a disability that
makes it difficult for you to use telephone equipment, Nantucket Cottage Hospital offers a TTY/TDD System to aid
guests with special needs.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital provides interpreters for a number of foreign languages.
- In person: The hospital has medically trained interpreters who can be requested and utilized as needed. The hospital has one full-time Spanish interpreter and multiple on-call interpreters for Spanish and Portugese. For other languages, we utilize telephone interpreter services.
- By telephone: The hospital uses Cyracom Telephonic Service, which allows us to contact an interpreter on behalf of our patients and insures 24-hour interpreter availability for all languages.